When do babies need shots

What Shots Does My Baby Need, and When?




Getting your child immunized is something any parent can do to protect their children from dangerous diseases.

Below are the vaccines your child needs to be protected:

Age: Your child should get these shots: Additional Recommendations:
Birth Hepatitis B
2 Months

DTaP – Diphtheria, Tetanus, and Pertussis (Whooping Cough)
Hepatitis B
Hib – Haemophilus influenzae type b (Hib Meningitis)
PCV – Pneumococcal disease
Polio – Inactivated polio virus vaccine
RV – Rotavirus

4 Months

Hepatitis B – If 1st dose given at 2 months instead of birth

6 Months*

Hepatitis B

* Annual flu shots are recommended
every fall for children 6 months
of age and older

12 Months*

Hepatitis A
MMR – Measles, Mumps, and Rubella
Varicella (Chickenpox)

15 Months*

DTaP – Can be given as early as 12 months.

18 Months* Hepatitis A
Before Kindergarten* Polio

My Child has health insurance. Where can my child get immunized?


Getting your child vaccinated can be easy and inexpensive. For families with health insurance, all or most of the cost of vaccines is usually covered under current state or federal laws. Pediatricians or family doctors’ offices can give your children the shots they need to stay healthy and meet the requirements for starting child care or school. As insurance may vary, ask your health plan or your doctor’s office if there are any fees for vaccination.

Local pharmacies often offer immunizations for older children and adults (but not for infants). Check with the pharmacy and your insurance company about the cost.

My child doesn’t have health insurance. Where can my child get immunized?




If you do not have health insurance, find out if your child is eligible for Medi-Cal. Contact your local County Social Services Office for some information. Some local health departments also give free or low-cost vaccines or may have information about other providers in your community. Community health centers may also offer immunizations for free or lower cost, depending on your income. Contact the clinic for more information.

Local pharmacies also offer immunizations for older children and adults (but not for infants), but the cost is typically higher than the locations mentioned above. Check with the pharmacy about the cost.

How can I keep track of my child’s shots?

The California Immunization Record (sometimes called the “yellow card”) helps you keep track of what shots your child has received and when. Keep it safe, and keep it up-to-date. Bring it with you when you take your children in for shots. If you can’t find your child’s record card, ask your doctor’s office for a copy. Many California medical offices and clinics can now update your child’s yellow card automatically using an electronic immunization registry.